The Housing Chief directs the Building Protection Team Leader and Resident Engagement Team Leader to focus their efforts on disaster preparedness and response and recovery at each of the organization’s properties.
When a disaster strikes, the main functions include:
- Advising on the need to evacuate, shutdown and reopen buildings.
- Overseeing damage assessments.
- Holding meetings with the Building Protection Team Leader and Resident Engagement Team Leader.
- Reporting to the Incident Commander.
Qualifications may include:
- Experience directing a team.
- Familiarity with the organization’s housing stock and normal operating policies.
- Experience with building systems and engaging residents.
A likely staff member to fill this role may be:
- Chief or Director of Housing, Director of Asset Management or a senior housing official who works closely with staff.
During the planning phase, the Housing Chief should:
- Consider all buildings in the organization’s portfolio, determining which are vulnerable to disaster and which have residents with special needs.
- Determine the best method of tracking information provided by the Building Protection and Resident Engagement Team Leaders, using Excel, a database or another method to best fit the organization’s needs.
Housing Chief Job Action Sheet
The Housing Chief directs the Building Protection and Resident Engagement Team Leaders to focus their efforts on emergency preparedness, response and recovery actions at each of the organization’s properties.