When a disaster strikes, the main functions include:
- Working closely with the Incident Commander and organizational leadership to confirm appropriate messaging to external parties.
- Updating the organization’s communication outlets.
- Managing incoming press inquiries.
Qualifications may include:
- Experience working with funders, government agencies and the press.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience using social media platforms in a professional capacity.
A likely staff member to fill this role may be:
- Director of Communications, Director of Development, Manager of Social Media or a similar position.
During the planning phase, the External Communications Liaison should:
- Establish protocols for communicating with organizational leadership.
- Review the External Communications Guide.
- Develop communication outlets for the organization including an emergency web page, phone number and email address.
- Register with the local emergency alert system.
The External Communications Liaison directs and approves the organization’s messaging to media, funders, governmental agencies and other external stakeholders.
Guidance on communicating with media and other external stakeholders before, during and after a disaster.